16/10/2009

Cork Set At Christmas

The Cork Lord Mayor's annual Christmas concert will take place this year on Saturday, 5th December.

It will be in the Concert Hall, City Hall, Cork at 8pm and will be headed by the internationally renowned soprano, Mary Hegarty, and will also feature performances from bass baritone, Joe Corbett, Musician /Songwriter, John Spillane and the Band of the First Southern Brigade among others. Sports commentator, Ger Canning, will be MC for the evening.

Speaking at the launch, Lord Mayor of Cork, Cllr. Dara Murphy said: "Now almost a half century in existence, the Annual Lord Mayor's Christmas Concert is more important than ever as a means of raising much-needed support for Cork Charities.

"Such support is vital in these challenging times. I would urge all citizens to support this spectacular event and promise them an unforgettable evening’s entertainment in return for their generosity."

Speaking on behalf of the organising committee, Barry Woods of Thomas Crosbie Holdings Ltd. (TCH) said the concert traditionally heralded the beginning of the festive season in Cork.

"It is seen by many as kick starting the festive season and is generously supported by both the private and public sectors. Booking early is certainly advised," said Mr. Woods.

(BMcC/KMcA)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 July 2013
Planning Permission Granted For New Cork Concert Arena
A proposed €50m concert venue in Cork has been granted planning permission by An Bord Pleanala. The new venue will be at Albert Quay in the city and will be built by developer Owen O'Callaghan. The plans for the new venue show a 100,000sq ft, 5,000-seater indoor arena, expandable to accommodate 7,500 people both seated and standing.
10 July 2012
Missing Concert Girl Found Safe - Cause Of Death Of Two Men Still Unknown
A young Co Cork woman missing since the weekends Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park has been found safe and well. There was concern yesterday about the whereabouts of 19-year-old Aoife Finan from Cobh, Co Cork, who had been last seen at about 11.30pm on Saturday.
20 July 2011
Support To The Tune Of €60,000 For National Concert Hall
The Community Foundation for Ireland have committed a spend of €60,000 in support of the National Concert Hall’s three year music programme. Entitled ‘Kid’s Classics’, the programme will run in three Children’s Hospitals in Dublin.
14 May 2019
Major Infrastructure Proposal For Cork Published
The National Transport Authority has published the draft of a major infrastructure plan for Cork.
25 April 2019
Weekend Weather Warnings As Storm Hannah Brings High Winds
Met Éireann has issued status orange and yellow weather warnings for the weekend as Storm Hannah moves in. People are being urged to prepare for possible disruption and power outages from Friday afternoon.