21/02/2011

Murder Victim's Family Ask For Privacy

A man has been murdered in Londonderry and another man remains in a critical condition following a vicious attack in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The victim of the Sunday attack was named today as Paddy Harkin with the local Sinn Fein MLA Martina Anderson, relating that the family of Mr Harkin appealed for media privacy.

Ms Anderson's statement said: "Once the circumstances surrounding Paddy's tragic death become clear the family may wish to make a public statement.

"Until that time I would respectfully ask that the media respect their request for privacy," she said.

Meanwhile, the badly injured man was transferred to Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital where he is understood to be suffering from serious head injuries and the area around Bayview Terrace and Asylum Road close to Strand Road police station was closed for a period of time yesterday as forensic experts investigated.

The PSNI said that one man has been arrested and is assisting police with their inquiries.

The Derry-based Deputy First Minister Mr McGuinness, who knew Mr Harkin, released a statement in which he said: "I know Paddy and I must say he was a very inoffensive man and I was shocked and saddened this morning when I was told of his tragic death.

"While I understand that there is a person in custody in connection with the murder and assault I nonetheless would encourage anyone with any information about this incident to come forward.

"Paddy's wife, son, brothers and sisters and extended family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers at this troublesome time," he commented.

SDLP MLA Pat Ramsay said people in the city were shocked at what had happened: "This is an awful tragedy that the people in this city are trying to come to terms with.

"I do understood the second person is very unwell at this time and our prayers are with him that he can make a full recovery."

Stabbing

In another, unconnected incident, a 26-year-old man has been arrested following a stabbing in the Clondara Street area of west Belfast during the early hours of Monday morning.

It's understood the victim sustained three puncture wounds to the chest and one to the head during the incident, which was reported at around 1.15am.

The arrested person was detained in Brooke Crescent a short time later.

The PSNI said that initial enquiries suggest the stabbing occurred in the street and not inside a property.

Investigating officers are appealing for witnesses. They can be contacted by calling 0845 600 8000.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 November 2015
Mortgage Loan Scheme Needs To Be 'Revamped' - FF
A loan scheme designed for first time buyers needs to be "revamped", Fianna Fáil spokesperson on finance Michael McGrath has said. Deputy McGrath made the call after figures revealed that not a single loan has been issued under the scheme so far in 2015.
19 August 2015
Man Charged Over Knife-Point Robbery
A 33-year-old man has been charged with the knife-point robbery of a man in Rathmines Park shortly after midnight on Wednesday. A 27-year-old man was walking through Rathmines Park when he was approached by a man, who produced a knife and demanded money.
16 October 2014
Man Presents Himself To Gardaí Over Hanlon's Corner Hit-And-Run
A man has presented himself to gardaí in connection with a fatal hit-and-run incident on 30 September, following an appeal. In the incident an 87-year-old man was knocked from his wheelchair after being hit by a white lorry, which then failed to stop. The man died a short time later of his injuries.
09 May 2014
Woman Stabbed Multiple Times In Kilkenny Shop
A woman has been killed in a knife attack while working at a shop in Kilkenny city centre, garda have reported. The woman, aged in her 20s, was working in the Holland and Barrett shop at Market Cross Shopping Centre, when she was stabbed a number of times.
24 November 2011
RTE Faces Second Censure Over Priest Allegations
The family of a deceased Christian Brother accused of child abuse by an RTE documentary has called the programme "utterly despicable".