12/05/2011

Celtic Manager Target Of Violence Again

A man has been arrested in connection with an attack on Celtic Manager Neil Lennon.

The attack occurred on the Northern Ireland man came during the second half of his team's 3-0 win against Hearts at Tynecastle in Edinburgh.

The assailant came from the Hearts section of the main stand after Celtic's second goal and made for Lennon on the touchline.

He connected with Lennon before being wrested to the ground by police and stewards, handcuffed and bundled out of the stadium.

Trouble then broke out in the Celtic section of the ground between fans and police.

Lothian and Borders Police said a man had been reported to the procurator fiscal and would appear in court in connection with the incident.

A police spokesman said: "A number of incidents took place during this match including some violent disorder.

Hearts has vowed to give its full co-operation during the investigation.

A club statement said: "An investigation into events which took place in the second half of tonight's game against Celtic is now under way.

"Hearts is a club which prides itself on its 'football for all' policy and these sorts of actions have no place in the game of football."

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan issued a statement, saying: "Clearly this kind of behaviour from supporters is wholly unacceptable.

"The safety of players, club officials and match officials is paramount on or around the field of play, and this clear breach of security is a matter I will be discussing with SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster tomorrow."

First Minister Alex Salmond said: "This sort of behaviour is utterly unacceptable. The Joint Action Group formed after the recent football summit is developing the eight-point plan to present to ministers before the start of the new season to tackle all issues of violence and bigotry in relation to football, because we cannot have the safety of individuals endangered by such mindless incidents, and our national game tarnished."

In a separate development, police investigating parcel bombs sent to Lennon have detained two men.

Earlier this season police intercepted the devices, which were addressed to Lennon, his lawyer and a politician.

Strathclyde Police said their operation was centred on the town of Kilwinning, in Ayrshire, where one suspect package had been discovered in a postbox.

The men, aged 41 and 43, were held under the explosive substances act after raids on Thursday morning.

For a decade Neil Lennon has been in the headlines due to the levels of abuse, threats and violence directed at him.

A Roman Catholic from Lurgan, County Armagh, Lennon stopped playing international football for Northern Ireland in 2002 after a death threat, said to be from loyalist paramilitaries.

Two men were sent to prison after assaulting Lennon in the street in the West End of Glasgow in 2008.

And earlier this year bullets addressed to the Celtic manager were intercepted at a postal sorting office.

(JG/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 April 2011
'Celtic Bombers' Condemned
An investigation is underway after parcel bombs were sent to NI-born Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, as well as a lawyer and a politician.
13 August 2014
Body Believed To Be Missing Dundalk Man
A body found in Dundalk is believed to that of Kenneth Fagan, who has been missing since Wednesday 6th August. Gardaí say that a search team found the body in the Lennon Melia area of Dundalk town on Tuesday evening. A postmortem will be carried out today at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda.
02 June 2014
Keane Rules Out Celtic Job
Roy Keane has opted out of being considered for the managerial position at Glasgow's Celtic Football Club.
25 April 2013
€310,000 Awarded For Care Of Negligence Victim
An award of €310,000 has been granted towards the cost of care for the next year of an award winning opera singer left severely disabled due to a failure to properly diagnose the cause of her headaches. 38-year-old Elaine Lennon was left wheelchair-bound and requiring 24-hour care after doctors failed to diagnose an infection in her brain.
02 November 2011
All Ireland Police Team Tackle GB Opponents
The newly branded Ireland Police Rugby team will take on a British Police Select Team at Newforge in Belfast later today. The Ireland Police Rugby Team is a combination of members of An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland.