21/07/2011

Co Antrim Search Follow Met Cop Shooting

The North's police have arrested two men following the shooting of a police officer in south Croydon earlier this month.

On Wednesday evening the men, aged 20 and 26, were arrested at a house in south Belfast and a number of items were removed from the Lisburn Road premises for examination.

Both men are being questioned about the attempted murder with the 26-year-old suspect being flown to London later for questioning, while the 20-year-old is still being held in Northern Ireland.

Last Friday the unarmed policeman was shot on Kingsdown Avenue while chasing three men.

The male PC is believed to have been chasing the men at around 10pm on July 15 when one of them opened fire and shot him in the arm.

Met Police officers then travelled to Northern Ireland this week to take custody of the 26-year-old man, who is now on route to London for questioning about the attempted murder.

Two other men have already been charged in connection with the shooting.

Adewale Ogunsanya, aged 22, of Leigham Court Road, Streatham, south London, and Demar Provan, aged 21, of no fixed address, appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court on July 18 charged with possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and possessing ammunition.

They are due at Croydon Crown Court on September 23.

Crime Alert

Meanwhile a senior PSNI officer has warned of disruption a few miles beyond the south Belfast thoroughfare where the arrest took place.

Supt Philip Knox said that, "an ongoing policing operation necessitating closure of part of Knockmore Road, Lisburn, and said this means drivers should "best avoid the area if possible".

It is not known if the incident is in anyway connected to the arrest of the London shooting suspects, along the Lisburn Road yesterday, but the PSNI have issued a formal statement to say that the ongoing search is in relation to organised crime - and is not terrorist related - and that it has caused road closures in the Causeway End Road of Lisburn, near Knockmore.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 December 2017
Teenager And Young Child Injured In Alleged Shooting In West Dublin
An investigation has been launched into an alleged shooting incident in West Dublin. According to reports, a teenager and a young child have been injured in an incident that gardaí have said is "ongoing" in the Parlickstown area of Blanchardstown. The area has been sealed off and gardaí are at the scene. Further updates to follow.
07 January 2015
Two Held Over Attempted Shooting Attack Released
Two men arrested in connection with an attempted shooting attack in Dublin have been released without charge. The incident occurred at a car park next to the Islandbridge Court Apartments on 1 November. A Honda Civic rammed another car at the scene. Two occupants in the car then ran after the driver of the other vehicle and fired a number of shots.
06 September 2013
Garda Arrest Two Men Who May Have Averted A Shooting
Two men have been arrested in Dublin's southside, with gardaí believing they may have averted a shooting. The two men were spotted walking through the Seagull House flats complex in Drimnagh by a routine patrol by officers from Sundrive Road Garda Station.
17 November 2008
Weekend Shooting Probed
Gardaí believe that a weekend shooting is linked to a drugs feud between criminals based in Finglas. They said today that a Dublin man is now recovering in hospital after he was shot twice in the gun attack. The 41-year-old victim had just been collected from a house at Cardiffsbridge Road when he was attacked just before midday on Saturday.
07 August 2008
Three Bailed On City Shooting
Three men in their 20s have appeared in court this morning following the shooting of a 20-year-old man in the city earlier this week. The victim is recovering in hospital after being shot in the stomach near Wheatfield Prison in Ballyfermot.