14/08/2012

Barnados Close For A Week To Help Save Costs

In an effort to save money, children’s charity Barnardos has closed it offices and services for a week.

The charity took the move because of repeated cuts to its budget over the past number of years, which have resulted in a reduction of its statutory income.

The charity also says it is experiencing a decline in donations.

A spokesperson said management made the decision in December 2011 to temporarily lay-off staff for one week.

They say that all the families and children they work with, as well as the 400 staff and volunteers, had months of advanced notice about the decision.

All of Barnardos services are closed this week. However, the charity's network of shops located in Cork, Wexford, Carlow and Dublin will remain open.

A number of fundraising staff are still available if people want to make a donation.

(H)


Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 February 2008
Galway Women Trapped In Gaza
A Galway woman and her daughter have appealed for help from the Irish government after becoming trapped in Gaza. Treasa Ni Cheannabhain, her daughter, Naisirin Elsafty and her Egyptian niece entered Gaza illegally from Egypt after being refused legal entry to distribute charity funds.
20 March 2019
Budget 2019 Pension And Social Welfare Increase To Come Into Effect
Pension and social welfare increases introduced in Budget 2019 will come into effect next week, the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Regina Doherty, has announced. Budget 2019 included €362 million in additional social welfare expenditure, bringing the total social welfare spend to €20.5 billion for the year.
02 November 2015
Planned Searches Begin To Find Woman Missing Since 1985
Planned searches are being carried out to locate the body of a Connemara woman who went missing over 30 years ago. Barbara Walsh, 33, was reported missing on 29 June 1985. She was last seen at a party at her home in Rusheenamanagh in Carna one week earlier. She was married with a young family.
15 September 2015
Minister Launches Jobs Week 2015
Hundreds of events are to take place across the State as part of Jobs Week 2015, aimed at helping both job seekers and employers. The Tánaiste and the Minister for Social Protection, Joan Burton T.D., and the Minister of State, Kevin Humphreys have announced Jobs Week 2015, which will take place from 28 September to 02 October.
16 March 2015
Missing Man Found 'Safe And Well'
Michael Kingston, who was reported missing a week ago, has been found "safe and well", gardaí have reported. A missing persons report was issued for Mr Kingston last week, when he went missing from his home in Sandyford. Following a week of no success, garda renewed the appeal on Friday.