02/11/2007

Tourists Targeted On Falls Road Bus

Tourists took a pasting yesterday when one of the now familiar open-top bus tours was attacked on Belfast's Falls Road.

The Belfast Sightseeing company who take thousands of tourists around the city every week withdrew services from the Falls Road after youths attacked the bus at Dunville Park.

A guide on the bus that had been attacked said tourists on board had a lucky escape.

"When the first missile came it was obvious it was bottles and stones. At least one of them hit the bus, which was very disconcerting for people on the top deck and had the potential to be a very, very serious incident.”

Up to 50 city centre visitors were sitting on the top deck of the tour coach when the bottles and stones were thrown by youths.

It is thought that the attack followed another by a group of young people who were in the area on a privatey hired bus. They are said to have launched attacks on the Falls Road Memorial Garden and the Bobby Sands mural from a similar open-top bus.

The driver of the tour bus involved in yesterday's attack called for calm so that the service could resume.

"It happened around lunch time," he said. "We saw a group of youths lying in wait as we approached the park. Initially, we thought we were being attacked by water bombs. But then we heard stones and at least three bottles hitting the bus.

"The bus was full of people - from America, Spain, France etc. They were very apprehensive afterwards to say the least. The last thing we need in Belfast is to frighten tourists."

With regard to the first incident on Wednesday, it has emerged that some of the teenagers, who attend Northern Regional College on the Shore Road, were dressed in Rangers football tops. A spokesperson confirmed that an investigation was under way.

"I can't make any comment until we know all the details surrounding the alleged attack," she said.

(BMcC)


Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 January 2017
Bus Éireann 'Directly Threaten' School Bus Service - SIPTU
Bus Éireann has "directly threatened" the future of a school bus service, according to trade union SIPTU. The union made the allegation following the presentation of a pay claim at the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC).
06 August 2013
Fianna Fáil Calls On Varadkar To Open Bus Lanes
Bus lanes around Dublin city should be opened to traffic during the ongoing Dublin Bus strike, a Fianna Fáil (FF) Senator has said. FF party spokesperson Darragh O'Brien, has called on the Minister for Transport to open up all bus lanes in Dublin to help commuters affected by the Dublin Bus strike.
01 July 2014
Drivers And Families Protest Bus Éireann Privatisation
A protest has been held in Waterford over plans to privatise the city's bus service. According to reports some 300 people, including bus drivers and friends and families, have marched through the city to protest Bus Éireann's plans.
16 April 2008
Bus Driver Berates Blind Man
A blind man has been awarded €3,000 for suffering discrimination at the hands of a Dublin bus driver Neill King said the driver told him "your wife is no use to you now" as his chair began to tip while ascending the wheelchair ramp.
10 March 2014
Man Attacked In Dublin
A man is being treated in hospital after being stabbed in Dublin on Sunday night. The 29-year-old man was taken to the Beaumount Hospital following the attack which happened on Glin Road, Coolock. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. Gardai are appealing to anyone with information to contact them.