15/04/2008

GAA President To Tackle Illegal Payments

The GAA President is to blow the whistle on illegal payments to team managers.

Nickey Brennan made a commitment to the clamp down shortly after the monumental decision last week to provide grants to top GAA players.

Mr Brennan announced he is to commission a committee to look at the problematic Rule 11, which is being circumnavigated by teams to pay their managers under its provision for 'expenses' due its vagueness.

In defence on how the recent decision on grants has affected his plans for rule 11, Mr Brennan said: "It is no great secret that the whole amateur code is being tampered with by a number of people and it is nothing to do with players' expenses or grants.

"I have felt Rule 11 is very loose and bland at the moment and I think we need to re-define it in the context of amateurism today and what we mean by it."

However, Mr Brennan is yet to quell speculation that the recent rule change is not the tip of a slippery slope pointing to an eventually professional GAA.

He said: "It is clearly defined now that players can market themselves and get paid for that and still not infringe our amateur status.

"You have players now getting cars for winning All Stars and we just need to make sure that our rules incorporate that."

The outgoing president further said he believed the it was important to look again at rule 11, and that it would not erode the amateur status of the game.

(DW/JM)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 March 2018
11 Arrested Over Alleged Sexual Exploitation Of Children Released
11 people arrested by Gardaí as part of an investigation into alleged sexual exploitation of children have been released without charge. The suspects were detained in Limerick, Tipperary and Kerry on Monday, 05 March as part of an investigation into alleged sexual exploitation of children who were resident in the Newcastle West Garda District.
13 April 2017
Appeal Issued For Missing Ballymun Teenager
Gardaí in Ballymun have issued an appeal for help in tracing the whereabouts of 16-year-old Rodrigo Soberon, who went missing from his home in Ballymun, Dublin 11. The teenager was last seen on the Ballymun Road at approximately 00.30hrs on Tuesday 11 April 2017. He is described as being 5'8" in height, of slim build with black hair.
21 April 2016
Minister Flanagan's "First 11" Top Tips For Travelling Irish Fans
Charlie Flanagan, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, has published '11 Top Tips' for Irish citizens travelling to the upcoming Euro 2016 Football Championship in France.
28 July 2015
Three Arrested In Animal Cruelty Investigation
Three people have been arrested as part of an investigation into animal cruelty and neglect at a farm in Co Carlow. Garda launched an investigation in April this year, removing 351 dogs and 11 horses from a farm during an 11 day joint operation involving An Garda Síochána, Carlow County Council and the ISPCA.
20 July 2015
Gardai Renew Appeal To Trace Breda Delaney, 72
Gardaí are renewing their appeal for assistance in tracing the whereabouts of 72 year old Breda Delaney, missing from her home at Avondale Court, Blackrock, Dublin. Breda was last seen at her home at approximately 3.30am, Saturday 11 July 2015. She is described as being 5ft 4 in height, of slight build with blonde/grey hair and blue eyes.